Leadership team at GeoStructures and GeoConstructors
Mike Cowell, PE
President & CEO
For over 10 years I worked for companies that focused on selling one product – Tensar and Reinforced Earth. Not only were there a limited number of tools available to help customers solve problems, but I had to rely on a contractor to build the products being sold. During this time it was also becoming clear that most general contractors were not only looking for design-build solutions in MSE Walls but other areas as well. Unless you were able to design and build it, a lot of innovative solutions sat on the sidelines waiting for a risk-averse general contractor to be the innovator. Having more Geo tools and the ability to build creative solutions, we were able to quickly and efficiently solve problems while saving customers more money. So that’s how GeoStructures came into existence over 18 years ago.
Every day I have the pleasure of working with exceptional people who come together to solve our customer’s problems by developing new products or construction techniques. Innovation, value and great service is contagious and fun!
- Clarkson College BS, Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Cornell University MS, Geotechnical Engineering
- Professional Engineer (VA, MD, DE, NY, NJ, DC, NC, PA)
HONORS / AWARDS
- First Geopier Man of the Year – Geopier Foundation Company, 2003
- 11th Street Bridge, Washington, DC
- John Paul Jones Arena at UVA, Charlottesville, VA
- Capital One Building, Mclean, VA
- HOT Lanes Soundwalls, Fairfax, VA
- Reached the 4.0 tennis level at age 60 …about time!
- Been married to the same great wife for 36 years who is also an engineer!
Ken Leahy, PE
Chief Operating Officer
Having a strong track record of improving efficiency while maintaining the highest level of customer satisfaction, I thrive on providing our clients with value based products and executing projects on schedule and within budget. I have the pleasure of working with many talented professionals who share the same values of building trust and confidence in customers which lead to strong relationships and repeat business. I am proud to be a part of an organization that supports their customers by providing superior solutions.
- University of Maryland, College Park, BS Civil Engineering
- Professional Engineer (MD)
- Registration #15526
- Proud father of twin boys
- Enjoys playing golf
Pete Sacripanti, CPA
Chief Financial Officer
As a results-oriented individual, my passion lies in achieving continued success for a company and assisting others wherever I can. GeoConstructors allows me the opportunity to work closely with a very entrepreneurial owner, senior design engineers, experienced and new sales professionals, project managers, and a host of dedicated individuals who strive to do their very best and surpass our customers’ expectations. As a company, each employee knows that our success depends on applying our collective efforts and expertise to design and build the optimal solution for our customers.
- Georgetown University, BS Business Administration
- Accounting; Masters – Taxation
- CPA (Maryland)
HONORS / AWARDS
- VP of Finance for a $2 Billion North American divisions with over 1,000 locations.
- Completed over $1 Billion of acquisitions throughout the US and Canada.
- 4 years in public accounting with Big 8 firm (audit and tax)
- 20 years with a Fortune 500 multi-national building materials company
- 4 years as owner of a consulting company serving the construction industry
- 1st Athletic Achievement: Washington DC CYO Volleyball League Champion
- Cadet Colonel of JROTC Program at St Johns College High School in Washington, DC
- Lived 5 years in Canada (2 years in Toronto, Ontario and 3 years in Calgary, Alberta)
- Completed 4 Marine Corp Marathons
Ed O’Malley, PE
Vice President, Engineering
As a geotechnical engineer, I had a lot of opportunities to work on a wide range of projects around the U.S. and in other locations around the world utilizing many different shallow and deep foundation solutions. Doing consulting engineering was interesting but became more so with the arrival of a new type of ground improvement – Geopier. Once I heard about Geopier and the regional design-build firm GeoStructures, a large number of projects came to mind that could have used Geopier ground improvement instead of more expensive deep foundations, had Geopier been available at the time. The Geopier concept was so effective and robust that instead of simply trying to find projects to use it on, I joined the company that was leading the regional effort to promote, design, and construct projects using Geopier technology. Since those days, the acceptance of Geopier and related approaches provided by GeoStructures has moved rapidly throughout the civil engineering and contracting community. It’s a great feeling to be an early adopter of a really good idea and then see its success grow over time.
- University of Texas at Austin BSCE, MSE, Civil Engineering
- Professional Engineer (DC, VA, MD, PA, NY, NC)
HONORS / AWARDS
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) National Capital Section, Geotechnical Engineering Committee – Chairman
- American Society of Highway Engineers, (current member, past treasurer, board member)
- 11th Street Bridges, Washington, D.C.
- BP Whiting Refinery Upgrade, Whiting, Indiana
- T.C Williams High School, Alexandria, Virginia
- Fox Hill Senior Living, Bethesda, Maryland
- Tower Oaks, Rockville, Maryland
- Worked on the King Ranch
- Walked across the “Bridge on the River Kwai”
Shana Carroll, PE
Being in a career that feeds my passion has ultimately confirmed why I love getting up each morning. Looking back on my childhood experiences I remember truly feeling “at home” when I was fixing something or making a process more efficient. Whether it was fixing my friends prized possessions or utilizing my love for mathematics to simplify a process, I knew these proficiencies must be considered when choosing my career path. As a professional engineer for GeoStructures, I evaluate different technologies during pre-construction and help clients develop sites in the most efficient way possible by fixing bad dirt. Belonging to the Geo family further substantiates why I love what I do.
- Bucknell University BS, MS, Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Professional Engineer (MD, DC, DE, VA)
- LEED AP BD+C
HONORS / AWARDS
- American Society for Professional Estimators (ASPE) Baltimore, MD – Chapter President
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) National Capital Chapter – Program Committee
- Riggs LaSalle Recreation Center Washington, DC
- Cobb Village 12 Cinemas Leesburg, VA
- SpringHill Suites Alexandria VA
- Bakers Centre Philadelphia, PA
- Operated bulldozers for a summer in college
- Liverpool F.C. Fan – “You’ll Never Walk Alone”
Senior Human Resources Manager
I like to think of myself as an authentic business partner who has a knack for high level Human Resources analysis, planning and application of what matters most; doing the right thing at all times. Finding and retaining high quality talent is key in satisfying and sustaining relationships with our customers and that’s why I’m here.
I have a solid history of building strong teams and guiding the development of talent in a performance-driven culture. My experiences have made me quite adept at applying my expertise of HR in management coaching, recruiting, compensation administration, employee relations, ethics, compliance and related laws.
I look forward to getting up every day and making this a reality at Geo….
- University of Maryland, Master of Science in Human Resources Management
- University of Maryland, Bachelor of Science
- 10 years supporting the hotel and long term care construction industry
- 2 years supporting a Big 4 firm
- 10 years supporting engineering and construction industry on large civil infrastructure projects
- I’m a Dave Matthews Band groupie
- I LOVE being a wife and mom!!